Monday, January 19, 2009

U2 & Negativland


Last night I saw U2 playing for Obama. Next to me on the couch was a friend who is a big fan. For me U2 was also pretty important when I was a teenager. My first 12" was "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Although I have always been slightly irritated by Bono's Jesus wannabee behavior their music did mean a lot to me, especially the Joshua Tree album. Recently someone was telling me how U2 is now supporting arts in Ireland. There is also a darker side to U2 when it comes to art (this is old news, but hey, this is a blog, not the New York Times). Island Records tried to sue the hell out of Negativeland when they made their U2 track. Here is one of the Negativeland members with their story:

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/LB/0511/Negativland_5.mp3


It should be said mabey to be fair that it was Island and not U2 itself who did the sueing, but hey, they could have stopped it if they really wanted to. Negativeland are now my heroes, not Bono and his mates.

No comments: