Sunday, December 21, 2008

You let me down, baby!


The great Chicago (WBEZ) radio program Sound Opinions has an annual Thanksgiving "Turkey Shoot" show- i.e. bands and albums that have dispaointed them in the past year:
http://www.soundopinions.org/shownotes/2008/112808/shownotes.html

Loving lists as I do, I though this would be a great idea for us to list our biggest recent dissapointments. Here are mine, looking forward to seeing yours:

1. Skeletal Lamping - Of Montreal. Of Montreal is one of the band's I've been the most excited about in a while. Fun, talent, wit, brilliant song-writing and extreme silliness. However, being too clever for their own good has always been a potential flaw with this band - and in this case it proves fatal. Too much of evrything - tempo changes, interludes, effects, nerd-sex one liners, geek pimpin' - all stuff that they've used brilliantly in the past, but here it distracts from the actual music. It's still all about the songs - remember? I had thought this bad got that.

2. Stay Positive - The Hold Steady. I really don't have anything bad to say about this album. they're still a great band and this is a fair album. I guess it's just a huge dissapointment to me compared to Boys and Girls of America. This album is fine - it just lacks majic. I just can't get into it.

3. Evolver - John Legend. Just when you though John legend was going to be the messiah to lead R&B back to the promised land of creativity, talent and soul, he goes to sleep. This album is booooooooooring and over-produced. 

4. Chinese Democracy - Guns N’ Roses. Not that I expected it to be good, but I thought just maybe... ah, no! Street of Dreams may be the worse rock song ever. 

1 comment:

Ivo said...

Worse than "we built this city on Rock and Roll"?