Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Best of '08: My faves

My three favorite albums of the year:
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes 
At Mount Zoomer - Wolf Parade
Dig lazarus, Dig - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

My other faves in no particular order:
Jim - Jamie Lidell
The Stand Ins - Okkervil River
Carried to Dust - Calexico (I think they are trying to take the title of best active band away from Wilco)
Oracular Spectacular - MGMT 
Third - Portishead
Do You Like Rock Music? - British Sea Power
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
Erykah Badu - Amerykah, Part 1
Bake Sale - Cool Kids
Modern Guilt - Beck
Real Animal - Alejandro Escovedo
Earth To The Dandy Warhols - The Dandy Warhols
The Odd Couple - Gnarls Barkley
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today- David Byrne & Brian Eno
Chemical Chords - Stereolab
Dear Science - TV on the Radio
Everywhere at Once - Lyrics Born
Real Emotional Trash - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
Consolers Of the Lonely - The Raconteurs

Honorable mentions: I guess I'll call R.E.M.'s Accelerate an honorable mention. I really enjoyed it - and I'm so glad they're back to making rock and roll music after years of boring mush - but it didn't stay with me long. Despite some of the most ridulous lyrics I've heard since re-reading my high school love letters, I liked Flock by Bell X1. The Way I See It by Rapheal Saadiq and Santogold's self titled albums were really nice. She & Him Volume One had disaster written all over it - but it wasn't. In fact, it's a great album. Priscilla Ahn's A Good Day was a good, simple and sweet debut.



No comments: